May 11, 2008

Skanking to the Beat




Friday night turned out to be quite the adventure. Jane Sovndal called last week about a, "possibly exciting opportunity." She was hosting a show at the Boom Boom Room with Monica Maduro, to benefit CSAW (Community of Sudanese and American Women/Men). It was a warm-up party for her 20-year high school reunion featuring The English Beat—perfect. I played their cassettes in jr. high and high school until the little felt square fell out, so I was stoked to donate my time. After a great show, the night wound down around 2:30. Josh and I packed up and walked across the street to the garage. When we saw the black steel doors rolled down, Josh said, " I think we missed an important sign." Sure enough. The truck was going to be safe and sound until 6:30 am. We decided to have fun with it, so we headed off in search of some late night snacks. Mel's Diner was open until 4 am. From there we moved onto Bob's Donut shop for a great crueler and some gnarly coffee. After we had our fill of the Marvin Gaye VH1 behind the music segment playing on the tv, we went in search of another 24-hour spot. Van Ness Bakery had left a light on for us. We bailed there around 6:00 to walk back to the garage. It was still a few minutes early, so we grabbed some Peet's for the drive home. By 8:15 or so I was home and in bed for a nap. Jane & Monica, thanks for having us. Josh thanks for a sweet adventure (in a sort of fun disaster kind of way).

Click here for a slideshow of the show.

3 comments:

Dane Sanders said...

right on!

Dane Sanders said...

dude, you know how to party .. all night long.

Peter Thomsen said...

Josh captured it here:
rock the party